<VV> Corvair Myths and Facts -- Pintos, no Corvair

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 5 22:18:52 EDT 2009

Locally, a number of years ago, we had a bad accident in front of a
shopping center, with a Pinto wagon, fire, and fatalities -- it was very
bad.

Just a few weeks later, I was working an accident scene not far from my
house in the same local area with a State Trooper.  A Pinto wagon that
had slowed for the accident was rear-ended and knocked down and off the
roadway.  I've never seen a Stater move so fast, actually running, to
get to that Pinto and get the folks out quickly.  There was no fire,
although the scenario was correct, and similar to the the previous
accident cited.

My conclusion is that not *all* Pintos burn when rear ended.

Fires happen at accident scenes and the risk should not be lightly,
whether it is a Pinto, Corvair, GM saddle tank pick-up, Corvette, Fiero,
or anything else, but my experience is they do not happen at the rate
shown on TV, or in the movies, or in popular imagination.  Check your
local wrecking yard -- how many burn jobs in there were the result of an
accident?

May you never see a fatal vehicle fire,

Bill Strickland