<VV> Corvair Myths and Facts -- Pintos, no Corvair

lonzovair at aol.com lonzovair at aol.com
Sat Sep 5 23:14:48 EDT 2009

Bill,

About 12 years ago when I was living in Northern Ky, I was on my lunch break in my Greenbrier, headed back to work when a car pulled out in front of a Pinto wagon with 4 people in it. The Pinto swerved to keep from hitting the car, and inadvertantly hit a telephone pole. The?Pinto BURST into flames. By the time I could stop my van and grab the fire extinguisher it was too late...

After the fire dept cleaned up the mess and the investigators finished up, it was determined that the owner of the car had modified the exhaust (installed a muffler and a straight pipe, not a curved tail pipe) and the force of the hit shoved the engine/exhaust about 3 inches into the fuel tank, rupturing the tank and igniting the fuel...

It all happened so quickly they didn't have a chance...

I also hope none of you ever have to witness anything that horrible... it's been 12 years and I still have difficulties talking about it...

Had it had the correct exhaust on it, those 4 guys may still be alive...

Later,

Lonzo