<VV> help! intermittent nasty noise when clutching

Carlton Smith carlton55 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 6 10:06:31 EDT 2009

Hi Ray,

I know two guys have already given you the two possibilities. They are
absolutely correct that it is either the pilot bushing in your flywheel or
your throw out bearing. It could be either or both acting up. That is a
noise that all standard shift drivers are familiar with and some time in
their 1960's car driving experience. I owned my first Corsa while in high
school (1969-72) and replaced the pilot bushing twice in that period. I did
this by myself as a teenager.

They are also correct that when you take things apart to fix it, replace the
bushing, the throw out bearing and the clutch plate (even if it looks good
to you) while you have it all apart. Don't cheap out on the clutch plate
that you buy either. If you are going to do it yourself you might want to
invest in a centering tool for replacing the clutch plate.

However, I am going to suggest that you drive it a little while longer and
see if it quits. The reason I say this is because you said it was
intermittent right now. Is the weather out your way turning cold at night?
Has the car has been sitting for a long time and not been driven very often.

I bought my present 65 Corsa in late August last year (2008). I flew out to
Wichita and drove it all the way back to Indianapolis. I did not have any
noise while shifting at first, but the weather turned cold at night within a
week after I got home and I started to get that noise in the mornings and I
was only driving the car on the weekends. I feared the worst as I remember
that noise very well. But our local, every Corvair experienced, Chevy
mechanic told me to wait and see if it quits with more driving. It did
eventually quit and is now over a year later.

Now it if does not quit in a fairly short period, like a week of daily
driving, then you should bite the bullet.

Carlton Smith
65 Corsa Turbo , convert.
Indianapolis, IN