<VV> Seat belt/shoulder harness site

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Thu Sep 10 01:04:28 EDT 2009

Mike, almost but not quite. The anchors were installed starting the first
week of February 1966. Interestingly, the belts themselves (RPO A85) didn't
become available until the following month. Perhaps the factory wanted some
buffer time... The easiest way to find out if a '66 has the anchors is to
look for a small circular hole pinched through the Fisher Body tag in the
engine compartment. Kind of an odd way to do it but this was documented in
Chevy service collateral.

I am very interested in knowing though if the Retrobelt setup makes use of
the factory mounts if they are present. If someone contacts them and finds
out, please post what you learn. Regardless, the issue with retractors in a
coupe is that they have to mount somewhere near the floor and they are
fairly large, which means easy to trip over when getting in and out of the
back seat. Not to mention having to crawl under/through the shoulder belt.
Certainly doable but the rear seat access geometry of the Corvair was not
designed with shoulder harnesses and retractors in mind. That's a major
reason why the belt-in-seat conversion (like I did with Chrysler Sebring
convertible seats or others, such as Oldsmobile Aurora) is attractive.
Unless, of course, you don't have people in the back seat often.

--Kent