<VV> carbs / too high an idle / next step

Louis Armer carmerjr at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 12 23:59:56 EDT 2009

Okay Jay, You have isolated the problem. Three things come to mind
about this problem. Even if the engine was recently rebuilt
the carbs may have sat around either on or off the engine and this
may have allowed all the gas in the carbs to evaporate and cause
varnish to form or small amounts of scaling of the pot metal in the
carbs to form and sluff off. This is the least likely scenario in
your case. Secondly, the throttle shaft of the carb may be binding
because it is too large for the carb bores that it fits through.
Thirdly and  most likely is misalignment of the throttle plate disc
in the venturi of the carb. It could be upside down and this can be
easily checked by examining if the notch in the throttle plate disc
aligns with the square slot in the carb throat on the side of the
throat right where the plate is when fully closed. If this is aligned
then maybe the plate is not properly centered and the plate screws
were pined as per rebuild instructions BUT the plate was not kept
centered when the pining was executed. These little screws are brass,
quite delicate and easily destroyed so don't do any checking of the
carb on the engine. Remove it to your well lighted work area
and carefully monitor the movement of the throttle plate to determine
if this is your problem.

Chuck

At 05:49 PM 9/12/2009, you wrote:
>Chuck - thank you. I disconnected the secondaries, still hung up. Checked
>under the air horn (air filter assembly?) and no rub. Pulled it off anyway
>to see linkage better. Checked for plug wires, but no dice. Disconnected
>primary carb on the right/passenger side, still hanging up. Reconnected
>right, disconnected left/driver side primary, and bingo! Free travel. I
>manually lifted the left primary carb throttle linkage and it seems to be
>sticking. Going to FLAPS tonight or tomorrow for carb spray, but having
>serious doubts it's gunky. Engine was rebuilt before I bought it, but I
>suppose I might just get dumb lucky. I'm afraid there's a piece of something
>stuck down in there. It just feels like it when moving the linkage. It's not
>sticky/slow, but seems to hang at a particular spot, with no external binds
>that I could find.
>jcp

CORSA Member
Corvanatics Member