<VV> dumb question!/clutch job

craig nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Thu Sep 24 10:42:05 EDT 2009

Ray Wrote: "The pilot bushing is VERY loose on the shaft.....  almost seems
like it
wasnt the right size to begin with...  As I recall there are two different
sizes correct?  It's also kinda silver in color..and I remember the ones
I've seen before being a kind of brass/copperish color....

Also of note, the nearly new clutch that was in there is the crappy rivited
type... so there is no question... I have to replace it."

Craig Replies:
It sounds like your engine has one of the no-good iron pilot bushings.
You'll need to swap it out for a correct porous bronze bushing and you'll
want to squeeze motor oil into the pores. The next Communique, due in your
mailbox in the next few days, has a tech article about this.  Also you may
want to measure the diameter of the pilot-end of the input shaft because it
may (will?) be worn undersize.

You wrote "crappy riveted type" in re the clutch disc. Note that unlike
brakes basically ALL clutch discs are riveted.

Take care with the clutch job and check everything so this system is put to
bed. You don't want to have to do it twice!
Replace: Disc, pilot, diff seal, your worn split ring
Check: flywheel, pressure plate, PP diaphragm spring, TO bearing, input
shaft
Lubricate: fork pivot, inside TO bearing, pilot bushing, clutch spline
Seal: Flywheel bolts to crankshaft
Torque: flywheel & clutch cover. Note install clutch cover carefully - go
around and around the 6 bolts tightening 1/4 turn at a time so they're
compressing the diaphragm spring evenly; otherwise the diaphragm spring will
be damaged.
HTH, Craig