<VV> FC Interior Dimensions

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Sep 27 01:09:53 EDT 2009

I used an FC for years as a shop van. I like the low floor available
through the side doors for loading heavy stuff like 100lb bags of sand
or 90 lb bags of mortar. And there seems to be no limit to the weight it
can carry. 3/4 ton is a lot! I also hauled a lot of furniture in it that
we painted in the shop. Rusty smashed Corvan doing pick up and delivery
work in the rich neighborhoods, what a sight! I never had a customer
question why I would drive such a sight to their home. They usually
wanted to know more about my "Hippie Van". And, a 24 foot extension
ladder will fit inside, carefully! I seem to recall  4x8 sheet goods
will fit at an angle, not flat on the floor through the rear doors.
Things fit better after I removed the homemade camper furniture.

You will like the low floor for scooters, etc. A riding lawn mower would
not fit in the low floor area through the side doors, and had to go
through the rear doors. It needed ramps to get in the rear doors, and
then the front wheels sat in the low floor area anyway.

I had a customer that used a Corvan for hauling his trim carpentry
tools. I think they exceeded the 3/4 ton weight limit. It was VERY hard
to jack up. Two jacks needed. I have had my own van so loaded I needed
two jacks to change a tire. I guess I exceeded the tire rating! And it
was only two hours old.... If you fill the van with hardware ( nuts,
bolts, screws, plates).....

Waay back there was a picture of a rampside full of sand in the
Communique. It survived. Probably over the 1500 lb rating, by about double.

Frank DuVal