<VV> original plates on a collector car

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Mon Apr 5 02:27:30 EDT 2010

I was able to do a similar thing with the car I was talking about earlier
(http://www.corvairkid.com/610767001602.htm). Washington issued new plates
every year through 1963, then decided to hold on to that design for awhile.
The Legislature eventually decided that they didn't like the state name
being abbreviated (WASH.) so mandated that a new plate be designed with the
name spelled out. "Common knowledge" 40 years later was that this new design
plate started being used in 1967 and the DMV's chart reflected this. My
car's original plates were the "'67" design though and it took me quite
awhile to convince the DMV to let me put them back on the car.

The original plates had been changed in the mid-1980s when the state
mandated that all old plates be removed and replaced with reflectorized
plates. Fortunately the owner at that time saved the original plates and I
was able to pursue re-installing them because the state by then had a "year
of manufacture" (now called "restored") plates program similar to what
others have described.

If you're not totally asleep by now <g>, you can read even more details
about the saga here: http://www.corvairkid.com/66waplates.htm.

I am *still* (14 years later) working with the WA DMV main office to get
them to update their official collateral (for DMV "retail" offices) so that
others don't have to go through this rigmarole. I'm nothing if not
persistent!

--Kent