<VV> St. Augustine

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Tue Apr 13 14:15:46 EDT 2010

Dan asked about the autocross, and I have been waiting for the results
myself to no avail.

If you recall, the course is a police/fire  training facility
resembling a housing addition with roads, street signs and no houses.
it even has a "polished marble" skid pad, which fast Eddie insisted
that we cross over on tippy toes.
    Speeds were mostly at the top of third gear for fast cars. I did my
self in by having an "autocross" gearbox with 2nd and 3rd gear only
1200 rpm apart. I had to compormise by either running 6800 in third or
4000 in fourth .
I used fourth in practice and 3rd in the trials.
     Last year I had the smallest car there and this year I had the
largest car there (73" wide) YS015 turbo.
   We had several SCCA cars there both days. Their drivers were very
friendly and very impressed by the Corvairs.
    Several interesting cars were there. Raymond Paul had a new engine
in his late convertible. it was a 6 tube intake with a center Holley
and huge headers. He was thrilled with it and got faster with every
run.
    The" where's the beef" car was always a threat with Scott Trunkill
pulling out the class win.
    I was 7 sec ahead overall the first day, since Fast Eddie pretended
to have trouble and didn't run. Mainly I beat all of the SCCA cars.
    We went out to eat at a great seafood resturant and had a great time
visiting.
     Sunday Eddie was still predending to have troubles so took by
Stinger for the try out run.
    I used fourth gear on my first run and then foolishly and greedlly
used third on my next run.
At the end of the fastest straight, something came unglued in the
engine with a horrible bang. The oil pressure was good so I just
coasted to the side.
    Some of the fast Mitsubishis beat me that day (we'll never know how
fast I would have been). but I still had the two day combo.
     I went on a Cruise when I got home and just got back, so haven't
torn the engine down. My best guess is that the flywheel came loose
from the crank.
      You'll have to wait fot the SECC report for the final results or
someone else will have to do some bragging.

Warren