<VV> AM/FM Radio Schematics for Corvairs

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Apr 25 11:37:05 EDT 2010

At 06:10 PM 4/24/2010, Sethracer at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 4/24/2010 1:23:46 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
>eprosise at hotmail.com writes:
>
>Seth -  Sounds Ok - I guess I have not seen a complete FM radio in my
>possession in  some time.

I got lucky...

Back When, I went to work for an outfit that did Delco warranty
work.   The shop had factory manuals going back to the mid-'60s.   I
did warranty (and carry-in) work on auto radios for many years, then
went back into photography... then back into automotive electronics
AGAIN, this time for another shop (part of a three-state-wide chain)
doing warranty work on the Big Three's 1990s car audio stuff.    I
still kept in touch with the guys from the first shop however, and
recently when they relocated to a bigger place and stopped doing auto
stereo work, the service manager gave me their 1960s factory Delco
audio service manuals.    The 2nd shop later closed down and I went
into commercial electronics (since consumer electronics work has
pretty much dried up these days with the throw-away concept hard at
work for most automotive electronics).    This actually tends to
leave a bit of a demand for repairs on old car radios that not many
people can do anymore, mostly because of parts shortages and service
info being hard to find.

:)

The Howard W Sams publications are pretty good and quite handy, but
the factory Delco manuals are WAY overkill in their detail and parts
number listings, down to the numbers for the last screw and
washer.    They also include detailed/complete alignment instructions
for everything imaginable.

It's pretty good stuff...

The other shop also gave me all their oddball old Delco parts, what
they had left in stock anyway... including the replacement silicon
transistor kits to upgrade radios with original germanium "DS" number
semiconductors which simply aren't available anymore.  The kits
consist of a silicon transistor, a resistor, a small ceramic
capacitor, and a small schematic showing where the resistor and cap
go to fool the radio into thinking it has a germanium transistor
there.   Actually, on a lark, after looking closely at the radio
schematic and noting how the germanium transistors are biased (simple
dropping resistor from the source voltage to the base of the
transistor), I simply swapped out a silicon PNP high-freq transistor
for a germanium DS-25 in one Delco radio and it worked perfectly
without the resistor and capacitor mod.   Since then, in those cranky
IF circuits, I've just swapped out the defective transistors and not
used the cap and resistor, radio always worked perfectly if not a bit
better.

...still like to keep a hand in, although time to do this sort of
thing often tends to be short.

tony..