<VV> Advice - re-coloring vinyl door panels? Radio/Speaker?

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez vairguy at echoes.net
Sun Aug 1 01:31:44 EDT 2010

Joe,

     My recent experience with vinyl dye taught me that the stuff does not
stick on seats (the stuff you get in parts stores anyway), but seems ok on
parts that don't get normal wear....  I would not use it on an armrest or
anything that is constantly rubbed or touched, but I think you would
probably be ok doing the door panel, especially if you can do just the
stripe.  Clarks sells vinyl dyes that match their interior parts.. that
would probably be the best way to get the right color.

     As far as the radio upgrade I'll leave it up to others to suggest the
speaker but as far as the head unit....  CD players are basically replaced
by ipods/mp3 players.  Most new CD players also have an MP3 input jack which
means you can do both with the same unit.  It is also possible (not very
difficult I think) to customize a factory AM radio with an MP3 input....
I'm sure someone can direct you to the article/how to I saw probably in the
communique'.  That would be the cheapest route and retain completely factory
appearance.

    If you want to go a step further I have lots more to say.  First the
cheapest custom autosound unit works perfect for me....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corvair-1960-1964-Stereo-USA-2-Custom-Autosound-/320117921652?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4a8883d774

    This would require an external CD player if you have to have one.. but
there is no reason to spend the money on that....  get an MP3 player instead
and have ALL your music in one compact item.  The appearance of a "stock"
installation is just OK.. I didn't find it convincing enough so I built a
custom face for it from my factory radio....  It looks great but I don't
have all the kinks worked out yet....  the problem is accessing the top two
buttons...   My solution was to use my AM/FM radio face and make the AM/FM
lever actuate the top buttons.  I have to do a little work to get it working
right but now that I'm aware that I only need the top right button and not
the top left one the task will be FAR easier.

     I did destroy the face portion of my factory AM/FM radio to make this
setup....   if I ever do it again I'm going to find a way to make the button
work with an AM only face so I don't ruin another rare and valuable item.

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
CORSA member
66' Corsa 140/4 coupe
65' Corsa 140/4 coupe (under construction and almost done!)
63' Monza PG coupe (under construction- quickie driver build)