<VV> Used Gas Tank

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Aug 1 15:05:30 EDT 2010

At 09:23 PM 7/30/2010, rbuckridge at comcast.net wrote:

>What do you consider as "cheap" for a used gas tank?
>
>I see Clark's sells used tanks for $80 but is out of stock at the moment.
>
>Roy in Bayville

I have on occasion yanked a gas tank, cleaned it thoroughly, and done
considerable repairs via welding and brazing when the need dictated
it because:

A-  another tank was not available locally
B-  the car was in a shop and could not just sit there until a tank
could be acquired, either new or good-used
C-  budget issues were evident at the time
D-  one such Corvair was a 1960 model and there ARE NO new tanks
available.  Period.
It's fix/repair or find a good used, or do without.  It's that simple.

And NO it's NOT dangerous to weld on a gas tank out of the vehicle if
ordinary simple cleanup procedures are followed.   Just wash the tank
out with soapy hot water.  Twice.  Dish washing detergent like Dawn
does a great job.   Smell it afterwards and if you smell any trace of
fuel, repeat previous steps.

Back when, because I was in a BIG hurry (or rather the owner was) and
could not wait and no good used tank was readily available, I once
soldered in a sheet of replacement skin on the bottom of a tank that
had been sitting empty a long time with condensed moisture in it and
the entire bottom was so thin you could puncture it with a
screwdriver yet it was still holding (mostly) fuel but stayed wet on
the bottom.    I cut out the thin sheet metal in the tank
bottom,  INSURED that I got it all, then hammered out a replacement
piece to fit (in that instance it was a sheet of salvage metal off
the side of a rotted out pickup truck bed), propane torch and
plumber's solder compound paste, made sure it fit well enough that
all the seams are sweated well, tested out fine first time, no
leaks.   It lasted until the car was sold years later and left the
area, still no leaks, tank probably more solid than it was to begin
with since the patch on the bottom was thicker than what the tank was
made of to begin with.

Lots of people doing old school stuff fabricate fuel tanks from
scratch for street rods and customs.   It's not beyond the pale for
an enterprising individual with some means and a bit of ingenuity to
repair a tank and do it right with a minimum of hassle IF they know
what they're doing and aren't afraid to give it a shot.

It pays to know what you're doing...   ( as if *I* actually do ;)  )

Of course if the tank in question is indeed a basket case (like the
one we replaced in the '62 ragtop) with rust shot through and
through, replacement may be the only option.

tony..