<VV> coil wiring help needed

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Mon Aug 2 13:32:22 EDT 2010

That would be "Charlie" not "Chalice" - victim of not catching spell-check when I mistyped "Charlie" without the "r" and it mis-corrected it !

I was an "altar boy" way back, but I didn't take any souvenirs !

Charlie
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mark Durham
  To: Charles Lee
  Cc: Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez ; corvair
  Sent: Monday, August 02, 2010 7:58 AM
  Subject: Re: <VV> coil wiring help needed

  Ray, chalice's diagram matches the 63 diagram I have in my 62-63 GM supplament manual to the 61.

  However, you will get caught out if you think there is a need for the resister block. They were used on the turbo and 64 up models, I think. The 63 resister is actually a resistence wire that runs from a plug clear back in the left front corner where the wiring plugs are, and lays with the rest of the wire bundle along the left of the engine box, just under the battery.

  My late 62 has a 63 wiring harness in it from the factory. I found the resistence wire because one day it overheated and smoked itself on me.  If you do a search of the bundle, you should see a wire at the left rear of the bundle where the left tail light wires leave, or close to there, that doubles back on itself. That is the resistence wire.

  I just replaced the wire from the plug and bought a generic 12 volt coil rather than replace the resister, but then I am running a Pertronix II which can take up to 16 volts.

  At the Distributer area.

  1. The Yellow wire goes to the + on the coil.
  2. The second wire goes first to the engine temp sender, then on to the oil pressure switch. It is the 12 volt wire, both of these units close the circuit when there is low oil pressure or overtemp, and turn on the light.
  3. A wire comes off the - on the coil and goes to the distributer.

  Hope this helps

  Mark Durham