<VV> Pay someone - Flat Rate

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 9 18:46:03 EDT 2010

We've about beaten this to death, but I want to relay this story of one
of my dad's experiences --

Folks had a 1960 Jag 3.8 Mark II sedan (four doors) -- something, I
don't know what, went haywire somewhere between LA and Oregon, maybe
something with the heater, so they stopped at the Jag dealer in San
Francisco -- the service manager told them that they had a choice --
John was a perfectly well-qualified factory trained mechanic and he
could do the job needed, but it would take about two days to get it done
and would cost about yea much -- OR, knowing the folks were from out of
town and on their way home, he explained could have Fritz work on the
car -- now Fritz was one of those super mechanics that had learned a few
tricks over the years, and he could have the car out in a couple hours,
but since Fritz's services were in high demand, he'd have to charge the
same amount as if John did the job.  When you factor in the cost of two
days stay in SF, it was easy to see that having Fritz do the work was
quite cost effective, even if it did seem excessively expensive for the
time Fritz would spend.

They had Fritz fix it, and were on their way that afternoon after a
leisurely lunch.  The hourly rate they had paid was quite excessive --
Dad never said how much -- but they were pleased to be back on the road
on their way home.

Bill Strickland