<VV> Steering box question - adjustments ?

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Tue Aug 10 10:28:24 EDT 2010

On Aug 10, 2010, at 7:04 AM, Robert K. Henry wrote:

> One problem: This car has a telescoping steering column, which appears to
> disqualify most boxes. The worm on that long input shaft seems ok, if I
> could just replace the pitman and nut I think I'd be fine.

Yes, this limits your selection.  Have you tried the Corvair used parts vendors?  Placed an ad on the CORSA website?  A complete tele column and box was listed on VV not that long ago, you could have bought both and re-sold the extra column.

> Why can the hot rodders get Corvair steering boxes for their cars but I
> can't get parts for my actual Corvair? Apparently they're selling new chrome
> plated reversed boxes for more than my car is worth. I don't need chrome
> plate but I guess I could live with it. But I don't think I could justify
> spending $700 for a reversed box that won't really fit my car anyway.

Flaming River also sells a standard box.  You would need an adapter shaft of the correct length, I'm pretty sure Seth could help you get the parts to make this a bolt in.

--Bryan