<VV> Getting in the trunk, and the trunk as a cooler

Tom Berg thesuperscribe at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 05:02:21 EDT 2010

OK, it's time to get out of the trunk and put something in there.

Back in the day, I commuted to Marquette U in Milwaukee in my new '62 Monza
coupe, and as part of the extracurriculum I got to really like beer. As I
dropped a sandbag into the trunk's bottom to improve steering stability at
highway speeds (anyone else do that?), I eyeballed the trunk's all-steel
structure and decided that it would probably hold water -- ice water -- which
would make it a good cooler.

One of the things you learn in college is how to tap a keg of beer (OK, you can
learn that elsewhere, but that's where I did), and it occurred to me that a pony
or maybe even a half-barrel would sit right on the truck's bottom and there'd be
enough vertical room for the tap. Then flood the trunk with ice water and off
we'd go to the picnic. I could just see my friends gathered 'round, puttin' 'em
down.

Say, why not run the plastic line right through the dashboard into the
front-seat area? Wouldn't the spiggot look neat mounted on the dash in there?
But that Logic course I took as a freshman, or maybe just common sense, took
hold: Beer got me blitzed; I'd be drinking a lot of beer with that spiggot so
conveniently placed; a blitzed brain at first enhances, then degrades driving
ability; a policeman might reach the same conclusion if he saw it; ergo, maybe
the spiggot wasn't such a good idea.

So I never installed the spiggot on the dash, or equipped the truck with a keg,
or used it as a cooler. Anyone else ever try it, though?

--Tom Berg
Westerville, Ohio
'64 Monza convertible