<VV> Steering box question - adjustments ? Now, Quick Steering Box

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Wed Aug 11 14:36:04 EDT 2010

Robert,

You ask if the quick box is that much of an improvement.   That depends.
If you want quick steering at speed as in auto crossing, the  quick steering
box could be valuable.  However, if you merely want to do  everyday driving,
you may want to keep standard ratios.  A quick steering  box will require
more strength to turn the wheel which will especially show up  at zero speed
when parallel parking.  If more than one person drives the  car, consider
the effort required for the weakest person.  Of course, with  the Corvair's
light front end, this may not be a big issue.

When changing ratios, always keep in mind that an increase in  output speed
compared to input speed is always accompanied by an increase in  required
input force compared to the output force and vice versa.  There  are other
things to consider but in general, increasing the output speed by 25  percent
increases the input force required by 25 percent.  This holds for  steering
as well as transaxle ratios.

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder  coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968  Camaro ragtop

In a message dated 8/11/2010 5:48:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  8