<VV> Unintended Acceleration

Tom Berg thesuperscribe at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 17:42:20 EDT 2010

There really is the electronic type of unintended acceleration that's gotten so
much publicity over the years. I experienced it twice that I can recall, both
with rental cars.

One was maybe 15 years ago in a Ford Taurus. I was cruise-controlling down a
Mississippi highway when it began accelerating from about 60 mph, even up a
shallow grade. I interrupted it at about 70 mph by tapping the brake, which
disconnected the CC.

The other was maybe 5 years ago in a Pontiac G6 or somesuch. I started out at an
intersection in Lake Elsinore, Calif., with a left-turn green arrow, and while
making the turn the car began accelerating. I quickly tapped the brake pedal and
it quit. This time the CC was on but not engaged.

Neither car repeated the acceleration during my rental term. What caused it? Not
my misplaced right foot, and I am experienced and aware enough to know if that
had been to blame.

I think it's a temporary short in the complex circuitry in modern cars, and/or
stray electro-magnetic interference. Neither thing is easily traceable or
repeatable, leading to scoffing by experts and dismissal of drivers as fools.
Some of them are, but sometimes they're not.

--Tom in Ohio