<VV> Steering box question - adjustments ?

Robert K. Henry robertkhenry at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 11 20:50:40 EDT 2010

I stand to the left of the car and watch the left front wheel as you reach
over and gently wiggle the steering wheel back and forth. I see how many
degrees I can turn the steering wheel before the front wheel starts to move.
I was able to turn the wheel quite a bit before there was any motion of the
front wheel at all. That's why the car was wandering, I had to kind of bump
the wheel back and forth to jog the front wheels into the direction I wanted
to go. Just a bit terrifying, actually, on a narrow two-lane road.
Fortunately, the car tracks pretty well by itself, so you really only need
the steering wheel when a course correction is needed. I crowded the pitman
adjuster screw until there was no free play. In tight turns the steering box
firms up a bit but even with the adjuster set to as little lash as I can
manage, on the straight the steering still seems a little vague. I'm curious
just how much more precise steering a Corvair ought to be capable of.

Robert Henry
'65 Corsa Convertible Turbo
Knoxville, TN