<VV> MICE IN CORVAIRS and houses.

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Thu Aug 12 06:57:51 EDT 2010

i have had 2 cars with mice.  a lakewood that the turkey roaster was  so
packed it was all over the top off the motor , turned brown from heat , my 64
coupe had them in the heater and headliner.
mice can sneak thru VERY small openings  , in houses they come thru
openings less than an eight of an inch.i saw one come thru a very small gap by a
fireplace once (into the mouth of a waiting cat). they come in the louvers
(front or rear )  with ease.they come in thru the drain holes at the base
of the front fenders  , they come in the trunk thru the vent louvers on the
right side. they have sticky feet , so they climb all over and get darn near
 anywhere. they come in heater flaps as they cool down , move fast thru the
 heater system. one thing that might help a little , is to keep heater
controls  off when parked . that cuts one easy route from the motor to the
heater  box.
so far , i have had no mice in my shop , i have a few sticky traps around.
the first thing i do when i bring a strange car in , is to put a couple
traps in  them with a dab of peanut butter on them.  the coupe netted 2 in a
few  hours when i bought it. the thing that made me maddest was the hole in
the  headliner.
also check  all heater openings and under all the seats with a shop  vac.
the only way to check the motor is to pull the top. you can not see the
damage.  maybe by a plug hole...if the bottom of the mouse "stuff" has been
burned brown , you may have overheated your motor.
that's why our club now has a motor on a trailer for a running demo
unit..it has been "moused" so not trustworthy.
regards, tim colson.