<VV> Mouse stories

cmot at ix.netcom.com cmot at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 12 12:06:09 EDT 2010

I heartily agree on the overheating issue, most likely mouse nests where you
can't see them. Especially on a vehicle that has been sitting unattended for
any length of time.
	After working on vehicles for over 30 years I had seen many vermin
problems. Repaired a MB once that had been parked in a garage for years and
would not run. After doing a battery, points, plugs, filters and a carb
overhaul on the vehicle I started it and the exhaust sounded a little funny.
After it warmed up and got the oil circulating I reved the engine and heard
a pop and the exhaust sounded normal. Lots of rust blew out the tailpipe,
including a dead rat, nest material and d-con poison food pellets.
	Another was a mid size cutaway chassis motorhome (that's the van
nose style). Owner came in complaining of a smell. I got in it and
everything seemed fine, then I said "I wonder" and turned on the A/C.
Unfortunately the fan was on high and the dash vents were pointed at my
face. Bits of nest material hit me in the face and the foul odor made me gag
and almost puke on the steering wheel before I could shut it off. I pulled
the fan motor resistor off the evaporator housing to look in and saw it
filled to the top with nest. I used the magic fingers retriever to pull out
about a gallon of uhpholstery stuffing and looked in to see little eyes
looking back. Mom was there with here babies. I had to flood the ducts with
a hose for a while outside to encourage them to leave, then bleach, then
rinse again several times. After that I used to recommend using the sticky
paper traps on over wintering parked vehicles so you didn't have poison
pellets deposited everywhere and dead carcasses who knows where.
	One of the first times dealing with one of these events and cleaning
the mouse droppings I became very sick and took a while to get better. Then
I learned about Hanta virus and how it can kill you. Mice are disease
carriers. They have caused many a plague over the centuries. Don't take
cleaning up after them lightly. I used to use a spray bottle filled with
straight bleach on ductwork to kill any bad stuff if I was cleaning up after
pests. Spray it on and let it sit for a while, maybe clean and hit again if
you had a bad infestation. After a while I starting doing it underhood
anytime I saw mouse signs in an area I would be touching. Be careful of
bleaching fabric or finishes you don't want damaged.
	Chet