<VV> Upside Down

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 12 22:09:15 EDT 2010

No, not the mortgage!

I think it was just yesterday that I mentioned (and Smitty discussed an
alternative) getting upside down under the dash.  I must have jinxed myself.
Today, the radio in the vert would not play and looking up there I
discovered some sort of black goo coming from above the radio, dripping onto
it and other items - wiring - heater cables - defroster ducting - etc.

I think that some PO must have put a sealant around the speaker which, in
the warm weather is turning to mush.  Anyway, I cleaned it up as well as I
could with a shop towel and my favorite solvent (brake clean).  I had to get
upside down in order to reach all (most) of it.

Don't know if that stuff caused an internal problem with the radio or not.
I also found the fuse was blown, so removed it and cleaned the clips in the
fuse box with sand paper.  Since it is only a 3Amp fuse, I figured it would
be a good idea to reduce any "extra" resistance the slightly rusty clips
might cause.  Replaced the fuse and the radio is working now, but I'm not
sure if this will happen again.  Wait and see.

BTW, the owner manual tells you proper amperage for fuses.  My getting older
eyes had a hard time reading the removed fuse so I decided to look it up.

Oh, I'm thinking that a 2X12 cut to fit between the door sills would be a
quick way to do the "Smitty" approach to solve the upside down thing.

Later, JR
CCE CORSA CORVANANTICS SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140