<VV> dual MC failure question

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez vairguy at echoes.net
Fri Aug 13 04:20:07 EDT 2010

I probably shouldn't post this before I investigate further but I'm finished for the night.  Based on the input from many here on VV I went ahead and did a dual MC conversion on the 63 this past week because I didn't want to risk Missy having NO brakes in the event of a rear wheel bearing failure.  The kit was great and easy to install.

I just took the 63' for its first drive in 27 years.   (don't get too excited the bodywork is only half done, the trim and lights (except headlights) are still off and I still have interior details to finish like that pesky headliner which is only half installed so far.)

The car ran and drove like a corvair should, I was very happy.  The only problem was the idle, if you dont flutter the throttle when you shift it stalls when you put it in gear and I do have the idle set high enough.  I have not yet balanced the carbs so I'm hoping that will clear it up.

Anyway.. to the point:  A few minutes into this first test drive the brake pedal went to the floor and I had no brakes.  I went back to the garage on just the e-brake and popped the lid off the dual MC.  One reservoir was near empty, the other still full.  I then looked and found that the drivers front drum had fluid coming out of it indicating a wheel cylinder failure.  This explained the lack of front brakes and loss of fluid... but why did I have no rear brakes?

What would cause the pedal to go to the floor without the MC losing any fluid?  I did bleed the brakes beforehand and everything seemed normal.

At least I know the parking brake is working nicely.

Thanks all.

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
CORSA member
66' Corsa 140/4 coupe
65' Corsa 140/4 coupe (under construction and almost done!)
63' Monza PG coupe (almost done!)