<VV> more brakes: question

Lon Anderson lonzovair at aol.com
Sun Aug 15 09:34:34 EDT 2010

Ken, that's how I got my 64 700 so cheap. The PO didn't listen to the rear wheel bearings scream at him, and kept driving. Bearing failed, wheel came out of diff, drum slid off shoe, and he lost ALL stopping power, and the left rear tire has TWO white wall stripes, where the fender shaved the tire...
THAT is why I put that 67 MC on the 64.
;-)
Later,
Lonzo

I agree with Tony.  Failure of the braking system on the front axle will leave
ny car with the stopping power of an early Model T or like driving with the
and brake ... but  you will be able to stop with the dual master cylinder
ystem.  If you have ever had a total brake failure and the brake pedal goes
traight to the floor it feels like the car jumps ahead because the driver is
xpecting to stop!  On early Corvairs our main concern is the loss of the REAR
rakes due to an axle bearing failure.  The dual master cylinder should stop the
ehicle quite well on only the front brakes.  An early without a dual master
ylinder will have NO way of stopping at all, short of waiting for rolling drag
o wear off the speed or hitting something!
The key is of course, getting they system right in the first place.  Getting the
hoe adjustment right, pressure bleed the system [pumping the pedal will not do
 complete job on the rear brakes with a dual master cylinder] and assuring
ressure to the rear axle will make the system functional.
Still, like Tony said, failure of the front axle brakes will leave one feeling
ike they have almost no brakes at all.
en P