<VV> Blessed autocross day

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Sun Aug 15 23:01:13 EDT 2010

The  hot weather was almost unbearable for this old fellow; even got
goose bumps in the heat.

But it didn't rain at 16 St. in Indy.

I loved the course. Someone even accused me of designing it. Kudos to
the real designer. It had all of the elements of a good
course---slaloms, chicanes, switch backs,  gates, off camber corners,
and the greatest sweeper that I had ever experienced at 16th Street. I
was at the very top of 2nd gear---thank you very much.

We had the pleassure of 4 teen age grandkids to ride in the various
cars. They always seemed to have a ride in all five of the runs in both
heats.  Other people even remarked about how much fun the kids  were
having and how well behaved they were.
Besides riding with Tracy and Michael in the tribute Corvair Yenko
Stinger and my 64 Corvair Roadster, they also got to ride in several
non Corvair cars including Lee Millers 4.3 Chevy sorta Lotus  7 and
Will Lahee's Honda sedan. I think that they were most impressed in Will
Lahee's Honda vs the Mod and prepared cars.
     Good drivers turn about the same times regardless of what they were
driving, if there is some momentum element to the course.
     I barely beat Michael this time---it was my turn finally. We traded
cars for the fifth run just for grins.
Michael turned a slightly better time in my car but with 2 pylons. I
pushed Michael's seat all the way forward and it slid all of the way
back on the first shift. I drove with my finger tips and couldn't push
the accelerator all of the way down.  So Michael wins on the car trade
(hmm ,do you suspect sabatoge?).
      Tracy, Michael,  and I won our classes. but it wasn't about
that---it was the friendly rivalary between us and the other prepared
and modified classes. Like the great battle between Jack Banker and his
son Christian in another sorta Lotus 7 and Tracy and Wanda in the
Corvair vs Lotus battle. And the friendliness of everyone in general.
     I left before the trophy presentation and got to church on time. I
told the Minister about my  blessed day and he repeated some of it at
the start of the sermon..Gotta be careful what you say!

Warren