<VV> PG Question

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Tue Aug 17 14:27:01 EDT 2010

Smitty Says;   How deep do you want to go with the answer Andy?  The
shortest route/ quick and dirty answer is, they can be swapped with nothing
more than a TV lever change.  Once you get beyond that then things get
interesting.  The PG went through developmental changes from day one right
through to at least the intro of the 140 engine.  Mods to alow oil coolers
required internal changes.  Concerns about internal air required anti
cavitation valves etc.  The biggest change in my estimation was in 64 when
the internal pressures were raised to handle the increased torque of the 164
engine.  Of course the higher rpm torque curve of the 140 required a
different governer so it could shift later. The list goes on and on..  If it
would ease anyones mind any I have to say that I have used trannys from the
earliest to the latest in my wagon and brutalized them pulling the camper up
mountains and across deserts with no change but an oil cooler and never had
a failure that couldn't be blamed on my squirrly desire to use the last inch
of value from a part before letting it go.