<VV> Repair Shop Charges; at least, in Britain ...

NEALE DAVID david.neale3 at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 18 10:15:00 EDT 2010

Over many years, I have owned a succession of Citroen cars, which have, in
almost every case, provided superlative service.  However, my experiences
with a number of 'garages', or repair shops, has not been so happy.

All came to a head when I bought a Citroen CX2500 estate, (station wagon).
All CX cars were complex beasts; this one was a great price, but came with
no service history.  I took it to a main Citroen dealer for the most
comprehensive service that could be performed on a CX, and upon collecting
the car was presented with a bill for the equivalent of almost $700.00.
This was, by the way, fifteen years ago.

On the following day, whilst driving to work, and leaving a motorway via. a
long, sweeping downhill ramp, the suspension collapsed and the low fluid
lamp came on. I pulled onto the hard shoulder, (breakdown lane), and got out
to look for leaks in the fluid/air suspension, knowing full well that there
were none, leaving the engine running.  After about 30 seconds, the car
lifted itself back up to its normal height.

Opening the bonnet, (hood), I saw that the fluid level was extremely low.
There were no leaks.  I then checked the oil filter; it was dirty, and still
bore the 'X' I had scratched onto it prior to taking the car for a service.
All this for just under $700.00, from a main Citroen dealer.  Being a
serving police officer at the time, I immediately drove to the dealership
and threatened the fellow in charge with an arrest of someone for theft.  I
had the car serviced again; a loan car for the duration, and all of my money
was refunded.

So HERE is the nub .... afterwards, I switched to an independent shop.  He
told me that;

1. Citroen dealerships worked on a flat rate for servicing.
2. Their 'mechanics' received a flat-rate themselves for each job that they
performed.
3. If the Citroen Flat Rate for a job was, say, 2 hrs, and the 'mechanic'
could do it in 1 hour, he would be paid the full whack for that job.  He
could make a fair income
    by rattling through as many jobs as he could fit into his 8 hour day.
4. The 'mechanics' would miss out certain facets of each job that they
thought they could get away with.

My new independent shop paid their mechanics a fixed rate for a weeks work.
There was no incentive to steal from the customers.

Of course, this disgraceful, criminal stealing from customers would never
occur in USA shops ..... would it?

Regards,

David, England

'65 Monza 4-speed 140 HP convertible