<VV> Flat Rate crap shoot - New parts

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Wed Aug 18 13:41:58 EDT 2010

I'm glad you mentioned that "New parts don't always work as they should ...
they are the wrong part for the application ..."

Another friend's battery wouldn't charge (I met her pushing her car through
traffic on Christmas Eve a  while back)

The local shop had replaced the regulator, a reasonable place to start,
right ?

When that didn't fix the problem, they replaced about $1000 worth of other
stuff trying to figure it out.

Their next step was the alternator, also reasonable, right ?

I asked the shop if they could test the alternator before replacing it, just
in case that was not the problem.
They we'll know when we replace it whether it fixed the problem, right ?

While she waited another week for them to have time to schedule the repair,
I removed the alternator and had it tested.  It was fine.

Since everything had been replaced, regulator, harnesses, distributor, and a
complete tune-up (under their theory that an underperforming car would not
have the power to charge the battery - that's when I decided to check it out
myself)

OK, bottom line, I started from scratch with the regulator, and a wiring
diagram, and noticed that the 12V didn't make it through to the correct
terminal coming out of the regulator.  What ?  It's brand new, so I popped
the cover off to see if a wire was broken, but THERE WS NO WIRE between
those two terminals !  Why not ?

Turns out, as you correctly surmised, but the mechanic apparently did not,
that it was the WRONG REGULATOR !  It required a a 1234XYZ and the shop
apparently figured that a 1234XYZ-A was "close enough" and never checked to
see if it  had the correct output !

So, they continued replacing $1000 worth of stuff that she could not afford,
and nearly broke her.

They were angry when I went back with her and asked, again, if they would
check the alternator before replacing it, which they steadfastly refused to
do.

The alternator was of course non-refundable, being an electronic part, even
though it was their wild guess (and defective diagnosis) that caused the
expense.

I, as usual, became her mechanic, and we had no more problems.  I wonder how
she's doing now that she no longer has me ?  (That was back in New York)

So, it's not just me, but I why is it that I'm always involved ?
Do I attract them to other people too, or is it just that I notice when
people make mistakes, and she would never have known if I had never come
around  ?

Good thing they don't kill the messenger anymore, or do they ?  (On VV, it
seems they do ?)

Charlie