<VV> Service Rip-Offs

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Wed Aug 18 14:35:42 EDT 2010

Yes, and the "stings" on TV (and all those other "What you you do ?"-type
shows) may have a positive effect, because businesses have to consider that
they are being "tested" and keep some of them honest ?

Hmmm... maybe I look like a dumb female ?  Sorry, ladies ...

In California, you do not even have to ask for an estimate, the shop is
bound by law to give one, and they cannot exceed the estimate without
written approval.

Plus, the shop MUST have receipts for all parts they claim to have put on
your car (though this is easy enough to fake, but as Kar King found out,
diligent research can prove that the evidence was fabricated
www.yourbuyersinn.com/KarKingWorkExample.htm)

When you say that a friend who runs a service shop and he eats the overage
work over the Flat Rate hours.

You don't say what happens if your mechanics beat the flat rate ?

It may "come out even" for you, but doesn't that mean that the customers
with the "easy" jobs are paying more to subsidize the "hard" jobs" that you
"eat" ?

This is tangentially related to Corvairs, because had I done my own work, I
would have learned more to work on my "toy" car, and might still have either
of my two "appliance cars" running.

Ironically, I bought the second "appliance car" (the Probe)
(www.yourbuyersinn.com/Cars/1996FordProbeSE.htm) when Kar King was running
me around on my Escort ZX-2 (http://www.yourbuyersinn.com/Cars/ZX2.htm) with
excuses you simply would not believe (that I guess some people actually DO
believe ?!?!?)

I would also have enough money to have at least one car running, and to
practice my skills to fix the others myself !

Thanks for your support !
Charlie