<VV> Corvair and OBD, EFI, etc

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Thu Aug 19 14:32:57 EDT 2010

Don't know the answer to that ... exactly ... It was my job to update tooling information for carryover parts,  Missing from that list was engine cover inner and outer, tail panel, rear cross member and all related parts.  I got no new release parts from the Body Engineering Group and as far as I know there were never any to release but, there was a sketch which was mindful of a Buick Riviera boat tail except wider at the bumper.  The sketch was not complete enough to explain what would happen at the back lite.

Years later, Chevrolet Engineer Bob Kirkman told me I was wrong in my guess they were planning an 8 cylinder and he produced photos of a 10.  They had made extensive tests of this engine years before in a full size Chevrolet.  Apparently someone still wanted this to happen.  I think the demise of the Corvair was mainly due to stamping and assembly production in Ohio.
Ken P

Frank Ness <aircoolvair at yahoo.com> wrote:

Question that begs to be asked.... were there any body, style changes for 1970? If
so what were they?

Regards,
Frank