<VV> Corvair/Camaro

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Fri Aug 20 16:40:06 EDT 2010

All:  There was no "pony car" before the Mustang.  Plymouth had a tame
Barracuda but Mustang invented the class.  The '67 Camaro was built off the
chassis for the 2nd generation '68 Chevy II.  Chevy needed an answer to the
Mustang - the LM Corsa turbo was not it - and liberated a work in process
from the Nova people, finalized it for their application and went to
production.

Yes, there is a styling connection - a family tree - as the Camaro was
styled by the same people who did the LM Corvair.  There was family
resemblance across Chevy's product line.  No surprise there.  But the only
Corvair connection between Corvair and Camaro is that Pete Estes wanted to
call what we know as the Camaro the new Corvair.  He was soundly booed down
by his marketing people.  Hence they invented the name Camaro.

Which, if you think about it, is a piece of evidence that the Corvair was
scheduled to die with the '66 production run.  Otherwise, if "our Corvair"
continued in production, what was it to be called?  Oh wait, the Camaro
would have been the Corvair II.  No evidence of that plan.

The death notice for the Corvair probably came down from 7th floor in about
April '65.  A date that comes from three sources independent of each other.
Chevy did have suppliers, purchase orders and contracts to modify or cancel.
That does take some time if you want to be orderly.  Plus they needed
something until '67 production of the Camaro started.

I actually believe the death knell for the Corvair first rang in early '60
when production of the Chevy II was given the go ahead.  This about 6 months
after the Corvair's introduction.  The Falcon outsold Corvair about three to
one, and GM realized there was a market for the unconventional, but it was
not big enough.  The FL didn't sing then, but she was moving onto the stage.

Thank Ralph for the '67-69 Corvairs.

Historically Yours,
			James

All I heard was competition from the other marques who were making
quicker and faster ponycars, including Chevy itself with the Camaro
which was an offshoot of the 'Vair in the first place.   Let's not
forget how GM was making less profit on each Corvair sold than
anything else they made.

Oh, and that stigma about how Corvairs were "dangerous" (even if
untrue) may have had something to do with the decision to quit the car.

But since the initial decision to cease production first came down
the pike in 1966, long before the smog factor had become a genuine
issue, it seems unlikely that any emissions issues were to have had
any sort of serious effect on GM's decisions to kill the
car.    Let's also not forget that the 'Vair was retrofitted with
smog gear only AFTER the initial decision to cease production was
made... and production still continued for almost 3 more years.

Other marques only (relatively) recently have dropped air cooled
engines from their inventory because of the high engine temps that
make it more difficult to control fuel mixtures/combustion temps
along with the inherent "noisiness" of the typical air cooled engine
which anymore is undesirable among all the car makers...

tony..
the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/
Post messages to: VirtualVairs at corvair.org

http://www.eset.com

------------------------------

Message: 3
In a message dated 8/18/2010 8:15:06 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
But  since the initial decision to cease production first came down
the pike in  1966, long before the smog factor had become a genuine
issue, it seems  unlikely that any emissions issues were to have had
any sort of serious  effect on GM's decisions to kill the
car.    Let's also not  forget that the 'Vair was retrofitted with
smog gear only AFTER the  initial decision to cease production was
made... and production still  continued for almost 3 more years.

Tony - That isn't true. In mid-1965 all California Corvairs (with a  couple
of small exceptions) were produced with smog pumps. And those were
designed in the year or two preceding release. The GM engineers - knew what
a pair
the Corvair smog equipment was - way before 1966. Believe me, a 1966 140
Smog motor was a pain to work on! A little less of a pain for most of them
today. <grin>

Seth Emerson

Message: 4