<VV> Headlights and other uses for 150 amp alternators

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Aug 24 23:58:24 EDT 2010

At 11:57 PM 8/23/2010, shortle wrote:
>My Halogens seem to work fine for me. No upgrading or changing
>anything other than the bulbs. My question: Anyone know off hand the
>largest boom boxes I can fit in the bed of my Rampside without
>modifying the bed?

You might be able to get some of the vintage movie theater speaker
systems to fit in the bed.   Some of the smaller ones were the size
of a fridge.  Larger ones were the size of a Greenbrier.

Look around for old decommissioned movie houses and pick up something
at auction maybe.   I know somebody who did exactly this, and has
them in a large basement... empty.  He bought the enclosures sans
woofers (although the midrange horns are still there).   They are the
Greenbrier size speakers.   You can crawl through the front reflex
ports and go inside them.   They mounted eight 15" woofers.  Each.

...unless you were kidding of course... ;)

I know another guy who worked for one of the Southern Autotronics
stores who had a delivery van loaded up with a "reproduction" theater
speaker system crammed inside it.   It contained sixteen 12" Pioneer
woofers.   It wasn't exactly what I would call "high fidelity", but
it would get loud.

At one time I had the loudest stereo in any Corvair that I knew of...
two batteries, a computer-designed custom port-loaded reflex woofer
with a pair of high end Stillwater Designs 12" low freq drivers that
filled the trunk and fired into the car interior via a duct in the
front firewall, with some creative midrange and tweeter
locations.   950 watts which would overpower the woofers and cook the
voice coils if I got more stupid than usual.   When I was running a
pair of Pioneer 12" drivers before the Stillwaters, I actually set
one of the Pioneers on fire once, while listening to Tchaikovsky's
1812 Overture and enjoying the cannon shots.

Seriously.

There was smoke coming into the car through the duct, I pulled over
and stopped and opened the trunk (beside several stores downtown),
smoke billowed, and I spent some quality time with my head sticking
into the trunk trying to blow out a flaming woofer cone while people
watched.

I replaced the surviving Pioneer and the cremated Pioneer with the
Stillwaters and it didn't happen again.   I actually got the burned
woofer replaced under warranty, after telling the Pioneer tech rep on
the phone (who called the shop asking how the Hell anybody managed to
do that to one of their woofers) how it got cooked, and what was
actually playing when it fried.   He repeated what I'd said to others
at his location, I heard laughter in the background, after which he
OK'ed the warranty replacement.   I sold the Pioneer woofers to
somebody I worked with...  then later on when I yanked all that junk
out of the 'Vair I sold the Stillwater woofers also.

I'm not saying I got smarter... I just wanted my trunk back.

YES it is possible to install a very powerful sound system in a late
Corvair although it's not easy and you still end up with something
that's mostly useful for destroying ones hearing and collecting noise
ordinance tickets.  But I could pull up beside a car at a light and
rattle *Their* windows.

I sometimes contemplate how many times I wondered if that capability
would ever actually come in handy...

tony..