<VV> Popularity

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 25 06:51:42 EDT 2010

Over the years, one of the things that has always fascinated me is the
popularity of the various models and years of what shows up at any given
event. Of particular interest to me (as I'm into them) is the late model
cars, and specifically the '67-9 cars. Unfortunately, it seems that those
last three year models are pretty rare, and in particular the '67-8 cars
are almost invisible.

Considering the factors that have been at work over the years, it shouldn't
be surprising that the vast majority of late models are '65-6 cars. Just by
the production numbers alone this would be expected. After all, they built
more '65's than '66-9's, and more '66's than '67-9's. But what also is at
work are several interesting factors.

First off, EVERYbody saves convertibles. That's a given, as that body style
is a breed all its own. But it seems that half the cars that show up are
droptops, which is way out of porportion to how many were produced. Take
the '67 model year - they built nine coupes to three 4doors to two
converts, in the Monza line, and the 500 line holds to the same
porportions. Fairly typical of any given year. But also at work is that few
people bothered to save any 4doors. They are the Rodney Dangerfield of body
styles. So most of what was saved had 2doors.

Second, the '67-9's had several strikes working against them. There was no
Corsa model or turbo available, and in '67 the 140 was so limited as to be
non-existant. Plus the '68-9 cars were saddled with the smog equipment.
Then there's the general dislike of the safety items - the mushroomed knobs
and added padding, particularly the radio and ashtray pads, headrests, and
proliferation of seat belts. To top it off, there was the perception (if
not reality) of falling quality, though over the years this factor's
influence has faded. Never mind that all of these items are merely parts
that can easily be swapped out for more desirable items, and often are, and
that many cars are now in rebuilt or restored condition, and often
customized away from pure factory stock in the process.

What little the '67-9 cars had in the plus column was that the '69 was the
last year (and everybody saves them because of it), and that they continued
to build the convertibles to the bitter end. Such improvements as the dual
master brake cylinder and the '69 clutch cable barely register.

So why are the '67 and '68 cars so scarce? I have no idea, and continue to
wonder to this day. This is particularly amazing to me, as '67 is my
favorite year. I like the Astro bucket seats (and this is one item that is
solely decided by personal preference - whether that bucket fits the
owner's bucket), and '66-7 upholstery pattern. Plus the 4door (my favorite
body style) was still available. Then there's the fact that a number of
factory options were either in their last year or first year of
availability, making '67 the year with the most possible options. I'm not
bothered by the lack of the Corsa model, as the Corsa was merely $74.20
worth of dash panel and trim, all of which could easily be swapped in (and
often is, as is the 140, or even the turbo).

Still the puzzle remains. Why the scarcity of '67's and '8's? We may never
know...

(On the plus side at this year's convention, though, was that there seemed
to me to be a markedly noticable increase in the showing of '67's, and
particularly of 4door cars of all years. Horray!)

-Mark