<VV> 110 with Dual Exhausts

Lacki, Allan V AVLacki at pplweb.com
Wed Aug 25 09:27:00 EDT 2010

Hello Erich,

I have owned 95 hp and 110 hp Corvairs, and over the years, I adapted 140 dual exhaust pipes to low-horsepower heads three different ways:

1.   110 down-tubes to 110 manifolds to 140 U-pipes.

To do this, I had to ream out the holes in the U-pipe flanges so that the manifold studs could pass through them.  Not an elegant solution!  And I ran this setup for a couple of years with no leaks, I would imagine that it would be easy to blow out the manifold-to-U-pipe gaskets, as you have suggested.

2.   110 down-tubes to 140 manifolds to 140 U-pipes.

This solution also works, but it trades one problem for another that is potentially worse.  With this approach, there is a danger of blowing out the down-tube-to-manifold gaskets.  If this occurs, you will be asphyxiated when you turn your heater on!

3.   140 down-tubes to 140 manifolds to 140 U-pipes.

This solution is the most elegant, but you would have to have your cylinder heads machined to accept the wider-diameter 140 down-tubes.  Not really practical unless you are removing your cylinder heads for some other purpose.

Another Possibility:  A good muffler shop may be able to adapt the U-pipes so they accept the narrower-diameter 110 gaskets.  This may be the cheapest solution and possibly the best.

Al Lacki

<VV> 110 with Dual Exhauts
eamsquared at comcast.net eamsquared at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 07:18:28 EDT 2010