<VV> Corvair's 'crushable' giant metal 'airbag'

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Wed Aug 25 15:55:44 EDT 2010

I can attest to the fact that the Corvair's 'crushable' front end
(effectively a giant metal 'airbag' ?) saved me in a 60 MPH impact into a
1958 T-bird (you can see the imprint of the right rear light housing in my
hood.

http://www.properproper.com/Corvairs/Tbird.htm

The owner was standing to the side of the parkway on Long Island, waving his
arms frantically, and while I looked to see what the problem was, I hit the
car he was trying to warn us he had left in the center lane.

I had been traveling at a 'reduced speed' of 60 MPH (because the fast lane
was not letting me relax and enjoy the drive)  when I hit the T-bird at full
speed, no time to brake (watching the owner waving)

The doors were 'pinched' shut from the engine trying to move forward, the
top was only slightly wrinkled, and the windshield pillar that took the
force was only slightly bent back.

Had I been driving my Camaro, I don't think I would have fared nearly as
well, having the engine in my lap and much greater G-forces to injure me ?

Charlie