<VV> Corvair's 'crushable' giant metal 'airbag'

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Aug 25 17:00:50 EDT 2010

Charlie,

The key to your survival was that the impact didn't start low enough to hit
 the steering box.  Had the box been hit things would have been much
different.  My first Corvair--a '65 Coupe--was totalled at similar speeds  and
the impact was lower, but in the center so the forces on the steering box
were not head on.  My steering wheel collapsed as it was supposed to (I
collapsed it) and the steering shaft came out of the mast jacket 4 or 5  inches.
I spent a week in the hospital for serious eye injuries, facial
lacerations, cracked ribs and massive bruises.

But that trunk crush zone saved my life.

Bob Hall