<VV> valve adjustment - DIY in about an hour or less ?

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Fri Aug 27 11:59:51 EDT 2010

I did them hot once, after paying a Chevy dealer to adjust them on a cold
New York November day while I was at work.

It seemed so easy to have them do it while I was working and just pick her
up after work, and save me the hassle, and get it done right by a dealer
(back when it was it wasn't a museum piece).

When I picked her up I thought it sounded noisy and rough, but the shop
manager assured me it would warm up.

So I started my 40 mile ride home as he closed the shop.

The car got worse and finally died on the side of the LIE about 6:30 PM

I did a "cold" adjustment of the valves myself, in a snowbank, on my back,
in the dark (November)

Then after she was running OK, I did it again "hot" adjustment and it really
was not that hard.

Took about an hour or less (cleaning up oily hands in cold snow took most of
the time !), and I drove home without a problem.

In the morning, I brought her back to the dealer (Wantagh Chevrolet, Sunrise
Highway, Long Island), and he said, "It sounds fine to me" !
Yeah, I'm sure it did ;>}) !

Always a good skill to have so DIY really paid off since I knew how to do it
!

Charlie