<VV> J tools

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Sat Aug 28 01:38:43 EDT 2010

Well, I won't know if I need to rebuild the steering box until I adjust the
end lash.

The "trunk" adjustment (#13 in the following figure) is backed out and
turned back in to "just touch" with the pitman arm off and the steering
wheel centered.
www.yourbuyersinn.com/Cars/Corvair/1965CorvairSteeringBoxExplodedView.jpg

The wheel turns extremely freely, although I do not have a micrometer torque
wrench to measure 2 in/lbs yet, nor do I have a fish scale, but it feels
fine.

According to the "real" (GM) manual, I need to trim the end play (#2 in the
above figure) first, which I can't do without this tool.

I have an acquaintance at a nearby shop, who may have this tool, so I'll ask
if I can borrow it if he even has one.

If I were rebuilding the box, which I'm considering, I'd also need this tool
anyway so it may be an investment in that step.

I don't even know what this tool looks like, but I imagine it as a big "C"
that might look a lot like an oil filter wrench but thinner and stringer,
with two "teeth" to grab the notches ?

It could also look like a "hole saw" with two square teeth ?

See my design to right in above figure ...
Charlie