<VV> valve adjustment

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 21:58:53 EDT 2010

Hi all, Actually, both are correct. However, I remember my Corvair mechanic
telling me years ago, back in the late 60's when he was replacing a wheel
bearing for me, that it was originally just a cold lash adjustment, however,
Chevrolet had problems with that and went to the more accurate hot
adjustment because people had a hard time telling where zero lash was cold
and without the engine running. It may have contributed to burnt valves. My
62 I got in 1967 with 44K miles on it had burnt valves. I did a valve job
and it ran great to over 100K miles.

However, Its pretty easy to back the lifter off and listen for the clatter
that follows, then turn in until it stops, then adjust in 1/4 turn at a
time.

There is nothing wrong with a cold adjustment as long as you follow the
rules.
The older lifters gave you a wider range, so if you were 1/2 or 1/4 turn
off, it really did not matter much.

However, the mechanic said the best way was to do the hot adjustment and he
had valve covers cut just for the job, (which I later borrowed from
him)which stopped most of the oil leakage.

Mark Durham