<VV> CONCERN OVER 2011 CORSA CONVENTION DATES

tommy5styx at npgcable.com tommy5styx at npgcable.com
Mon Aug 30 00:33:11 EDT 2010

I have to say that I am very disappointed to find out that the two events are co-scheduled.  My father has been working feverishly to finish the restoration of his 1962 409 Impala (with some help from me) with the 2011 Flint meet as the goal and we were hoping to attend together.  My family was hoping we could drive our '64 Monzas to Denver on the way to Flint but it is looking like that won't be possible.  The 100th Anniversary of Chevrolet (and the 50th Anniversary of VCCA), along with doing the trip with my Dad, will probably trump the Denver meet for us, even though we are avid Corvair fans and were really looking forward to the possibility of "doing Denver".

Tom Wolcott
1964 Monza Coupe 110/4spd
1964 Monza Convt 110/4spd
1965 Corsa Coupe 140/4spd
1966 Monza Crown
1968 500 Coupe 95/3spd

PROBLEMS - 2011 CORSA CONVENTION DATES

I still believe that attendance numbers at the CORSA 2011 convention in Denver could well be down because of the major VCCA event being held in Flint at the same time.

Tim Mahler and Keith Keillor raise some quite valid points to my above observation, and I appreciate these views. Nevertheless I firmly believe that the 2011 CORSA Convention will have some quite considerable competition from VCCA event in FLINT which has already booked out four hotels.

Tim mahler comments:

1/ "It is impossible to schedule ANY event without conflicting with another."

Reply:

Yes, but why complete directly with such a major car event that has already booked 4 hotels? How many hotels has the 2011 CORSA Convention in Denver booked as of today?

2/ "There will be MANY 100 anniversary events for the Chevrolet. This is but one".
Reply:

Certainly Chevrolets 100th birthday will be celebrated not just in the USA, but all over the world during 2011, but I firmly believe that none of these celebrations will come anywhere near the size of the VCCA event. I would be surprised if GM are planning anything significant.

3/ "VCCA is a FACTORY STOCK Chevrolet event. Bill Hubbell "Alice" is eligible to be shown. Few other CORSA Corvairs will be -- relegated to the back lot. This includes both of my well documented Fitch Sprints, both altered from factory thus prohibited to be shown. It's part of the core essence of VCCA. Altered vehicles are not scorned, but also not eligible for any awards, reaffirmed this year."

Reply:

So in Chevrolet's 100th year, the focus would be on correct original cars and for one year "after market" cars take a step back. I don't see that is or should be a big issue.

4/ "I am a member of VCCA, and have not even considered attending this event vs CORSA's event."

Reply:

Tim, perhaps then you are representative of those who don't specifically value the history behind the brand Chevrolet. Many Corvette owners are like this, and for various reason prefer to call their vehicles 'Vettes' or 'Corvettes' rather than Chevrolet Corvettes which they are.

Maybe what you saying is the a major celebration of Chevrolets 100th birthday really needs little representation from Chevrolet Corvairs. If you are right then a few Corvairs if any will be in Flint because they will all be in Denver.

5/ "VCCA will do 1 or 2 tours, a driving tour and a car show. CORSA will have tech sessions, Rally, economy-run, autocross, Concours and Car display.

Reply:

Tim, you are missing my point totally. This is NOT about who runs the best convention. This is about Chevrolets 100th birthday and ensuring that both conventions are well attended. Certainly those who just want performance events, autocross etc and have no interest in Chevrolet history or its 100th birthday will simply go to the regular CORSA event.

6/ "I really enjoy all my CORSA friends, even those who disagree with me".
Reply:

Tim, I would agree with the above statement totally, but I also believe that issue I am trying to get across is important. Maybe I will be wrong and maybe record numbers will attend the Denver event. However if I am right then the Denver event might be poorly attended.

Dave Keillor comments:

"Then there is the issue of contracts signed and commitments made by the host club".
Reply:

Dave, you raise an important point, particularly if attendance are are down. This might make meeting those commitments difficult.

So I still firmly believe that:

Consideration should be given to changing the scheduled dates for the 2011 CORSA Convention in Denver CO.

Sunday July 17 thru to Saturday July 23, (FOUR HOTELS ARE FULLY BOOKED OUT NOW)

The Vintage Chevrolet Car Club of America will be celebrating Chevrolets 100th birthday at Chevrolet's birth place in Flint, Michigan.

Monday July 18 thru to Friday July 22,

CORSA plans to run its annual convention at the same time, in Denver

Regards from Australia

Carl L. Kelsen

1965 CHEVROLET Corvair Monza convertible

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia