<VV> CONVENTION DATES

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Mon Aug 30 10:50:45 EDT 2010

Too many of the replies have focused on which is the more appropriate
event to attend, CORSA's convention in Denver or the VCCA's event in Flint.

These replies have missed the point.  The point is, shouldn't we be more
mindful of the rest of the world around us when we select convention dates?

The answer is, yes, of course, we should.

But while saying this, I must confess to ignoring such potential
conflicts myself.  I was a member of the group seeking sites for the
2012 convention in New England, and our focus was on available
facilities that were suitable for CORSA's convention needs.  Of those
that were investigated, one stood out and was ultimately the one that
was selected.  At that property, precisely ONE summer week in 2012 was
not already booked -- so that's the week now scheduled for the 2012
CORSA convention.

Ideally, we should have checked calendars for other significant
car-related events, to try to avoid potential conflicts such as the one
that launched this thread.  But if we found such a potential conflict,
what would we do?  The week we took was the only week available at the
property we preferred.  Should we move to a less-desirable site in order
to utilize a different date?  Should we "let go" of a New England
location entirely in order to utilize a different date?

The 2011 conflict between the CORSA convention dates and the VCCA dates
are unfortunate, but unless we are able to forge better relationships
with other organizations and then better coordinate our long-term
strategic planning, such conflicts are going to continue to occur.

It is simply too late to make any adjustments to the Denver dates.  It
is highly unlikely that alternate dates are available at the host
property, and even if there were, for every member we might please by
making a date change now, there will be another member we inconvenience.

As far as I know, the 2013 CORSA convention remains "open," that is, no
site has yet been selected and no dates have been set.   NOW is the time
to identify any potential date conflicts that we might wish to avoid.
Anyone know what they are?

--Bob Marlow