<VV> Oil Pressure

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Mon Aug 30 11:26:58 EDT 2010

 A couple of things here:
1. Do you believe the gauge? I'd screw in a mechanical gauge into the hole and read it in the engine compartment. Or, connect the sender (with a good ground) to a compressed air source with a regulator, and see if the gauge on the regulator compares with the dash gauge. If they agree, both are most likely fine. If they don't, you'll need to determine which on is amiss!
2. If it is that low, more pressure can't be bad. Getting 20 PSI at idle sounds pretty good. You should see more at higher engine speeds. This usually means the oil pressure regulator spring is weak. I've run as high as 100 PSI and never had a leak. But then again, when I built my engines, I made sure the gasket surfaces were true, flat, and free of damage.

John Roberts