<VV> 1967 Monza steering box removal requires 2" hole in the left inner fender ?

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Mon Aug 30 14:23:32 EDT 2010

The steering clunk is definitely coming from the box, and after lashing the
end play out, and 'loading' the Pitman shaft while turning the wheel yields
the same noises, so it's not the linkage !

Plus turning the wheel is slightly "lumpy" (that's the word the manual
uses), so I removed the box and a rebuild kit will be on order soonest.

According to the 1965 GM manual, to get the steering shaft out of the upper
end of the box, a 2" hole in the left inner fender, near the fuel filer
pipe, is required, which would mutilate the car and I didn't want to do it,
so I disconnected the knuckle just north of the box and out it came.

Maybe that is overkill or the 1967 is different ?

Maybe 1967 started using crushable steering shaft ?

The lube in the box looked very rusty and felt almost solid - like it had
water mixed in grease ?

Charlie