<VV> Worst roads in America

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 13:20:02 EST 2010

                                                B"H

I can't imagine any roads that are worse than the ones in NY.  Between congested population, no funds used to keep the roads in good condition, and the agressive drivers, you take your life in your hands every time you turn the key.

The Jackie Robinson Parkway in Queens/Brooklyn is an absolute nightmare.  Each lane barely has enough width for a normal sized car; let alone the outsized SUVs that rip up that road.  There are almost 90 degree bends in the road, and no one wants to slow down to the speed limit.  Officially it's 45, most drivers do 60-65.  You can find lots of broken lenses, bumpers, hubcaps, and other assorted "pre-owned" parts strewn along the side of the road.

Of course, the Corvair can take those turns in stride without slowing down.  I can either out-handle or match the handling of most of the modern vehicles in those turns, but I do drive responsibly and reasonably.

Most city streets are full of potholes, especially in the spring, and the city just dumps lumps of soft asphalt over the holes, making the street like the GM Washboard Test Track (or it is called the Belgian Block Road?)...Bill Hershkowitz 69 Monza Coupe 110 PG