<VV> Vega

Jim Houston jhouston001 at cfl.rr.com
Thu Dec 9 13:39:24 EST 2010

When I came back from England in 1973, I needed a car to get me and my
(new) English bride to my next assignment in Tacoma, WA.  We went
looking at the Chevy dealer and found a used '71 Vega hatchback that we
both agreed looked good, so I bought it.  We drove it from San Antonio,
TX to Tacoma, WA (broke a fan belt in West Texas - otherwise, event
free).  I took it to the Chevy dealer in Tacoma and he advised me of a
recall - they did a borescope of the engine and said the cylinder walls
weren't scratched (no new engine for me) and installed a coolant
recovery kit. The mechanic told me that since it had AC, the larger
radiator probably prevented overheating, and thus, protected the
engine.  We drove it around Tacoma for 10 months and then back to
Glendale, CA.  I bought a Mini in CA and the Vega became the wife's
car.  After 2 1/2 years in CA, we went back to Texas (the Vega got towed
behind a uhaul truck) where it continued to serve as "her" car.  One
problem occurred when the timing belt broke, but AAA towed it to my
dad's house and I replaced the belt without any drama.  By late 1977,
however, it was using a lot of oil, but otherwise wasn't giving us any
problems, but when one of the guys at work offered to swap even for a
Mazda "Mizer", we traded and the Vega left our lives after my thousands
of miles.  I sometimes wish I had kept it, but at the time I just
couldn't do it.  Maybe because it was a Texas car, I never noticed any
rust problems.

Jim Houston