<VV> WHICH TORQUE CONVERTOR?

Arlette Pat arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 10 00:26:19 EST 2010

Hi everyone,

What's everyone's views on the following:

As part of the continuing ground up restoration of our 1965 Monza convertible I have had the automatic transmission rebuilt. My transmission rebuilder also reconditioned the original torque convertor.

I also have a rebuilt 'high performance' torque convertor that I purchased from Clarks Corvair Parts. I purchased this 'high performance' torque convertor after driving an air conditioned Corvair with one installed earlier this year in Cedar Rapids at the 2010 CORSA Convention.

What impressed me was how this Clarks 'high performance' torque convertor handled the extra load of the A/C compressor. Our Corvair has factory air so I tend to believe that I should install the Clarks 'high performance' torque convertor.

I understand that the down side of a 'high performance' torque convertor is that at high speeds the engine with be working a little harder. High speed is not an issue in Australia because 60 MPH (100K) is our strictly enforced maximum speed. On many of our major freeways you are limited to 45MPH! So our Corvair will never be driven at anything over 60 MPH (perhaps at times 65MPH).

So should I use the original torque convertor or the Clarks 'high performance' torque convertor? I am at this stage I am tending towards the Clarks 'high performance' torque convertor but would be interested in what others think.

Regards from Australia where we are now well into our summer warm weather.

CARL L. KELSEN
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
RIGHT HAND DRIVE 1965 CORVAIR MONZA CONVERTIBLE