<VV> REAR HOUSING OIL LEAK REPAIR

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Mon Dec 13 17:54:24 EST 2010

While Loctite and well-flowing Loctite epoxy have been mentioned, I
would recommend POR-15.   Note that I have not YET tried it for this
application (but fully intend to).  I have used POR-15 to fix the often
leaky Holley carb fuel plugs on my boat.   I have used POR-15 to seal a
very slow air leak in aluminum wheels and have sealed the interior of
the Corvair bell housing to prevent any pesky oil leaks onto the clutch
due to porus aluminum micro-cracks.     What I like about POR-15 is that
it is self-leveling so it flows extremely well and is quite tenacious in
mating with metals.   If anyone wants to try it for minimal cost,
_www.POR15.com_ sells an introductory kit with everything you need to
apply it.    The application process involves cleaning the metal well,
then "seasoning" the metal to improve the metal bite with phosphoric
acid, then applying the POR-15 like paint.  Once coated, it will adhere
extremely well to the metal and has the consistency of cured epoxy.   If
you apply it to thin sheet metal, you will see that it is extremely
durable even when bending the metal and will not flake off.   If you
take a knife to scrape it off the metal, it simply will not come off and
is tough to even scratch, except for at the weaker edges.   Really great
stuff!

Larry