<VV> brake failure? - Probably not the master cylinder

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Dec 28 01:19:39 EST 2010

I spent a half hour looking around on several credible web sites, verifying
 what I was pretty sure of. "Some" valves act as a warning light switch
only, not  acting as a true shuttle valve. The true "shuttle valve" should
slide in  the direction of the low pressure (Blown hose, rusted line, etc.) and
seal the  blown part of the system from the master cylinder. This would
allow the floating  piston in the dual master to be solid on one side,
maintaining and feeding  pressure down the other side, based on foot pressure.
Without the sealing off of  the bad circuit, pressure from your foot will bleed
out of the bad circuit  and you will get "almost" no pressure in the circuit
you still have. Sound  familiar?  If I was building a new in-line dual master
cylinder system  today, I would add residual pressure valves on the outlets
of any master  cylinder, since no new replacements have them, feed the
outputs into a factory  shuttle valve, wire the switch to a warning light, then
feed the fronts and  rears. According to good sources, neither the Wilwood
or Master Power   Brakes valve perform the shut-off function, they just set
the switch. Both  companies have valves that can perform additional
functions, such as  pressure limiting the rears for lock-up prevention, especially
important in  a disc-drum combo.

Ready to listen to any opinions - This is an important subject.  Seth
Emerson

In a message dated 12/27/2010 9:35:42 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,