<VV> 3 on tree - only a slight Corvair reference

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Wed Feb 17 19:06:37 EST 2010

What kind of junk have all you guys been driving?  <grin!>

In my misspent youth I did time in the previously-mentioned 3-on-tree
Econoline, a 3-on-tree '66 Chevy wagon, and a 3-on-tree '68 Chevelle.
NONE of them ever refused to shift nor did they ever get hung up in gear.

On the other hand, the shift linkage in my floor-shift 3-speed 1962
Corvair wagon (circa 1970) fell apart on a regular basis, until a buddy
and I tinkered with the linkage, shimming it with strapping steel and
applying other sophisticated fixes.  Of course, during that repair we
discovered that the floor had rusted out and that the prior owner had
fixed the floor with a tin S&H Green Stamps sign.  (You have to be of a
certain age to know what S&H Green Stamps were.)

In high school, a neighbor girl who was about the skinniest and
slightest female I've ever seen this side of a famine appeal, drove a
3-on-tree Chevy II all over town.  If she could slam that car into gear
every time, what on earth was wrong with your cars?

--Bob Marlow