<VV> sway bar swap

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Feb 22 10:27:32 EST 2010

Ok, a couple things - first, your '63 should have a sway bar.  You might post a photo so we can see what you really have under there.  Second, I'd say drilling those holes has to be a pretty accurate operation, thus my thinking of making up a jig for it.  The holes have to be parallel to the crossmember and at the same height vertically, or the bar will bind, have preload to one side, or both.  The only reason I'm considering the operation is the front crossmember on the wagon is quite solid but doesn't have the holes, and I already have some '64 lower control arms but the '64 crossmember is rusty.  Making up a jig *may* be easier than sourcing a crossmember and doing the swap, but bear in mind I have a crossmember to use to check the jig.

Short answer - if you're not confident of drilling the holes to within 1/32", I wouldn't do it.  That's the criteria I'm using for my decision.

--Bryan

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
  Corvairs: '62 700 Wagon, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa